A collection of pdfs of zines and journals published across the region. We don’t seek to be exhaustive of the huge amount of material people have produced over the years, but to preserve and highlight interesting local works that otherwise might be forgotten or disappear. All links on this page are to locally hosted files and all are imposed for printing unless otherwise indicated. Feel encouraged to suggest texts to us in the comments on this page!
Signal Fails (2019): Reflections on the widespread adoption of Signal Messenger in anarchist circles and their implications for our collective security and social organization.
On Subculture (2019): A defense of anarchist subcultures and a proposal for one we could build
What’s a Justin Trudeau? On Social Peace and Canadian Nationalism (2016) — Analysis of what Justin Trudeau can tell us about how the Liberal party and the Canadian state have shaped the idea of what it means to be Canadian
The Go’ing Insurrection (2013): Making connections between anarchist strategy and the ancient board game Go. PDF is not imposed for printing.
Toronto G20 Main Conspiracy Group: The Charges and how they came to be (2012) — Detailed exploration of the conspiracy charges laid against anarchists in 2010 for organizing around the G20 summit. Great exploration of how police attack social movements.
Knowing the Land is Resistance: KLR was an anarchist ecology collective operating out of Hamilton from 2010-2015:
- Towards an Anarchist Ecology (2014)
- The Learning from the Land Guide (2014)
- KLR 1 (2011)
- KLR 2 (2012) —
Common Cause (linchpin.ca) was an Ontario-wide anarchist organization from 2007-20016. They published a journal, Mortar, and an earlier newspaper called Linchpin
- Mortar Issue 1 (2013),
- Mortar Issue 2 (2014),
- Mortar Issue 3 (2015)
- Linchpin (2007-2013) (file is a zip of all issues)
The Hamilton Institute (thehamiltoninstitute.noblogs.org) was a counter-info site from 2012-2018. Many texts were published there, including:
- Now That It’s Undeniable: Gentrification in Hamilton (2015): Thorough look at the forces driving gentrification in Hamilton and critique of urbanism
- Seven Years Against Prison (2016): On the practice of noise demos outside of prisons in Southern Ontario
- The Most Important Thing: Reflections on Solidarity and the Syrian Revolution (2016) [print]([read]
- Steal City: Thoughts on some everyday struggles in Hamilton (2016): Linking big issues to local struggles. Distributed at a May Day block party
613anarchy.net is an ongoing distro project out of Kingston. They publish both locally focused texts as well as though relevant to anti-authoritarians more broadly, including:
- Anarchy in a Small Pond (2018) [read] [print]: Reflections on organizing as an anarchist in small cities and towns
- Cracks in the Limestone: Actions in Kingston. Volume 1 (2010-2013)[read][print] ; Volume 2 (2014-2017) [read][print]
- RIP 420: Weed and Legalization in so-called Canada (2017) [read] [print]
- Reap What You Sow: Radicals’ Reflections on the Save our Prison Farms Campaign (2017) [read] [print]
- Effigies and Imaginations: Some thoughts and reflections on countering the idea of Canada (2016) [read] [print]
- 10 Reasons to Hate Canada (2015) [read] [print]
- Two texts about development around the waterfront: By the Shores of the Davis Tannery Grounds (2014) ; An Open Letter to Friends of the Kingston Inner Harbour (2013)
- Convenient Lies: Why green energy projects (and hydro from Quebec) won’t save us or the planet (2014) [read] [print]
- Fuck Your Racist Prison, Fuck Your Racist Nation: Immigration Detention and the Prison-Industrial Complex (2013)
- Point of No Return (2013): A collection of stories answering the question “how did you become an anarchist”